The Jones County Sheriff's Office is currently accepting applications and resumes for full-time 911 Telecommunicators.
- 911 Telecommunicators answer and dispatch all routine and emergency calls including fire, ambulance and law enforcement by radio, telephone and computer.
- Operates computers to enter information-regrading warrants, missing person, stolen property, etc. and to receive needed information.
- Files and keeps records.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
- Must be able to work all shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to establish and maintain good working relations with the general public under all circumstances.
- Ability to speak in a clear, concise voice.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to learn and memorize policies and procedures.
- Ability to read maps.
- Ability to work effectively under stressful conditions regardless of the situation.
- Ability to operate multiple radio channels, multi-line phones system and computer-aided dispatch.
- Ability to appropriately handle confidential records and information.
- Must be able to attend the Law Enforcement Academy for 1 week within a year of hire.
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Must possess a valid driver's license to operate a motor vehicle in the State of Iowa and pass a thorough background check which includes a criminal history review.
Starting salary as of July 1, 2020 is $16.83/hour to $18.94/hour depending on prior experience.